Saturday, February 28, 2009

A Sad but True Tale....

Once upon a time, in her freshman year of high school, Oceangypsy (not yet a mom) ran for the VP of student council. Now, this was before she became part of the "cool" crowd. This particular year she was somewhat quiet, reflective and suffering from acne and perpetual bad hair. Oh, what a difference a year makes. However, that image was not her self image. In her mind's eye, Oceangypsy knew that she could make a difference.

She spent hours working on posters with creative and witty slogans. Her entire family participated and it was a bonding experience. The result was a campaign that resembled the California Raisin commercials. "I heard it through the grapevine..." Sorry, momentary lapse into song... lucky for you, you can't hear me right now. Her speech was awesome. It was funny, targeted, and promised real change.

What Oceangypsy didn't know was that in politics popularity trumps substance nearly 100% of the time. Her rival was a fun, cute and networked cheerleader. It didn't matter what her campaign was as she only needed to put her name on the ballot and the deal was sealed. However, Oceangypsy let her idealism carry her through to the end. Of course, the writing was on the wall and when she went in to see the final vote tally she was in for a real shock. Let's just say that Oceangypsy knew that it was improbable that she amassed any real number of votes, but the number on the page was simply excruciating. Five votes. Five votes, one of them being her own.

It is one of the defining moments of Oceangypsy's life. A true life lesson in how to hold your head up high. Thankfully, the following year she transferred to a new school and redefined her social life.

You may ask why I feel compelled to share this sad but true tale at this time? Nearly everyday I am encouraged by a friend or family member that feels compelled to say, "I just love your blog." I am so flattered. I am really, really glad. And, sense I seem to have no real life of my own other than that of my hubby and children, this blog represents a new chapter in staking a claim on one. So, I am encouraging my friends and family to cast their ballot and actually sign up as followers. There are currently eight followers (which is a great improvement over my pitiful five votes) but surely we can do better than that.

I do not want to be deluded like all those contestants on American Idol that think they are actually good because their mother told them so. I want to earn your comment (vote). I would love to read what you are thinking.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK. I'm thinking that you are not alone in imagining a clean house. Where the beds are made and there are no dishes in the sink or clothes on the bathroom floor. So because our kids often spend time together, I know exactly what your house looks like...because mine looks exactly the same way! Maybe someday they will find both of us wondering the neighborhood.... Together.

Linda Pinion said...

Sadly, our friends with grown children tell us that we will miss these days. Days of mud on the carpet, ruined furniture, mountains of laundry & dishes, LOUD "garage band" practice, and rotting food in the basement. Are they sure? Will I REALLY miss this? Hmmm.....Not feeling it. :)