Friday, February 20, 2009

Fear Factor

This week was one full of fears.... First Braveheart took and passed her driver's test. Talk about real, in your face fear. This is one of those stages when your imagination goes wild, when you realize all the dangers associated with driving. Your mind starts to recall every crazy newstory you've ever heard about teenage drivers. I was ever so thankful for an independent agency that gives the final passing grade. This is when your parenting really starts coming into question. Have we taught her enough over the years, raised a responsible teenage girl that can be trusted not to joyride all over town?

My fear was offset a little when Braveheart came home with a huge smile across her face, lit up like a Christmas tree. She had gone through the drive-thru at McDonald's all by herself! She was ecstatic! My fear was offset a little more when she offered to return the movies to Blockbuster on time! (Yes, there is a benefit to all this!)

One of the most fearful experiences of the week had to be when Prince Lawn Gnome, who received his learner's permit, drove from the license bureau home. It started to occur to me that this is the same child that drove a four wheeler off a cliff into a ditch a few years ago. The memory was jostled from the recesses of my brain when he took a corner like he was driving a go cart! Oh, why didn't I space these children further apart in age? Not to have any break between driving lessons is just a heart attack waiting to happen.

Sandwiched in the middle of all this chaos (life) was a planned Fear Factor experience with the youth. Finally, a little time to turn the tables around and be the perpetrator of the fear! A little redemption was just what the doctor ordered.

I'm glad that I enjoyed it while it lasted because the next onset of fear came when I cleaned out Songbird's bookbag and found my make-up remover at the bottom of the bag. Dear Lord, can I please catch a little break here?

The answer to that prayer: a resounding no.

The very next day, a new fear. My hubby is put on a one week of rest per the doctor to help his fubar, I mean, aching back. I'm thankful, so thankful for that. Even thankful for the massive amounts of drugs he's on. It is seriously funny. But, yes, there in again lies the fear. Fear that a man who has done nothing but physical labor for twenty some years is going to really rest. Fear that his employer will say, "nice knowin' you."

So, if you don't mind, shoot up a prayer for me. A prayer to deal with the fear, to keep it in check. And, if you live in the KC metro area, you've been duly warned.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How funny, Braveheart picked McDonalds drive-thru for her first ever 'alone' drive. And as far as Songbird...she is a 'girly' girl!