Sunday, February 22, 2009

Putting DIY and HGTV to the test

It happens if you stay in the same house long enough. I like to refer to it as the money pit syndrome. The time when repairs start piling up faster than money comes in. Eventually, you have to pull the trigger. Eventually, you have to stop thinking about fixing that leaky shower and actually fix it. Over the years, I have confidently tackled differing decorating projects spurred forward by my favorite decorating shows. Some results have definitely been better than others (don't even ask me about wallpaper.) But, tackling a complete bathroom redo is another matter. If you make a mistake, it's more expensive. If it looks awful, you can't just paint over it for an additional $25.00.

My hubby is very handy. He normally would take this project and whip it out in no time, but with his back issues he is falling into a supervisory role on this one. So, I along with Prince Lawn Gnome, will take on demolition, shower installation, tile, and paint. Lord help us all. It has been my past experience that while my hubby means well, he sometimes gets a little snippy when giving directions. And, maybe it's just me, but in the past I haven't received direction well either. So... hopefully we will survive this. Hopefully, the results will be worth the effort.

The last thing I need is a bathroom redo that I have to redo again.

And, I would be remiss if I didn't commit on the complete corner of the market when it comes to the price of shower doors! Who knew? It's glass, tempered yes, but it's not like I'm flying the space shuttle here. The number one consideration is how hard it is to clean, because, let's face it, just because the bathroom looks new doesn't mean I'm going to want to clean it more often.

This will definitely be the tell tale sign as to whether or not I should even watch another DIY or HGTV do it yourself episode. It always looks so easy...

No comments: