Monday, February 9, 2009

Love is in the air...

I can honestly say that yesterday I was a wedding crasher! Never thought I'd do that. I debate long and hard over going to weddings of those I do know, much less someone I've never even met before. Weddings just aren't my thing. Now a good reception... that's another story. In fact, I think that's when the whole wedding scene started turning sour for me... dry receptions. I mean what's the point?

So, just why would I crash a wedding? Let's just say... love was in the air. I innocently went to church and part of the service was a chance for all married couples to renew their vows. My husband is always off doing tech support so I was surprised when he was waiting for me at the front of the church! Yes, there were tears in both our eyes. It's amazing how much more those vows mean when you know the full extent of them.

To have and to hold... despite times of tiredness
For richer for poorer... how about for poorer or poorer
In sickness and in health... we're getting older and just really facing sickness head on
In good times and in bad... it depends on how you look at them
As long as you both shall live... if even out of nothing but pure stubbornness!

Yes, those vows mean a lot more now.

Well, I was all caught up in the moment, feeling loved and feeling blessed to have such a great hubby. That's when they announced that there would be a wedding of a young couple directly after the service and we could stay if we wanted to. Just one week ago they were merely living together and now they wanted to make it official before God and everyone. They didn't want to wait and prolong the process. The marriage was the important thing, not the wedding. It was romantic! (Remember romance?) And, yes, I cried. I cried and cried and when will I learn to carry some Kleenex in that over sized purse of mine?

Oh, and how young they looked. They looked really, really young. Did we look that young? We must have. There is something completely endearing about the hopefulness of young newlyweds. Their biggest assets are determination and love. What else do they need? Yes, love is in the air...

1 comment:

Mrs. G. said...

Your sweetie is a real sweetie.

May you have many, many more years of love and kindness.