Friday, February 6, 2009

Who are you, really?

I'm beginning to wonder if it's possible to ever really know a person. For that matter, is it really ever possible to honestly know yourself, to be objective? It seems that we go to great lengths to portray who we want to be, or who we want others to think we are.

Exhibit A: The following entry made by a friend's husband on his web acct, "I do my own laundry and believe that housework is family work. Not women's work or skirt work. It's easier to help around the house then to lay around and complain about it." I think he forgot that there are those of us who know better. There are those of us who have lived through the trials and tribulations his wife has suffered in the long journey to housework self discovery. However, I am encouraged by this remark as it is proof that you can teach an old dog new tricks!

Exhibit B: The insane cleaning frenzy that occurs before company comes over. If you haven't seen the clean version of the oceangypsy house in awhile then consider yourself elevated to true friend status. You no longer qualify as company.

Exhibit C: Dressing up for church on Sunday morning. I would love to show up in my pajamas, slippers, no make-up and an IV pole with a direct line for the caffeine. (This could be a great social experiment.)

Exhibit D: An oceangypsymom stuck in the middle of the midwest. Where's the water? Where's the beach? Brad Paisley said it best, "I'm so much cooler online."

No comments: