Tuesday, December 30, 2008

What now?

You know its bad when the kids are still out of town and my hubby and I are content to nap, and by nap I mean really sleep. If it weren't for the dogs the house would be completly still. Odd how you can't wait for the phone to stop ringing, the door to quit open and shutting, the refridgerator to stay closed and then when it does it calls your whole exsistence into question. The thought occurred to me, as I wandered aimlessly from room to room, to tackle all the after Christmas chaos. Perhaps, this would be a good time to do some deep cleaning... and then thankfully, a girlfriend called! "By all means, let's go to Starbucks!"

There is something deeply soothing about the fabulous aroma at Starbucks. We cradled and caressed those coffee cups, inhaling deeply... is it possible to make love to a cup of coffee? (sorry honey, but I might seriously have an affair with a Cafe Mocha). That's why Starbucks is so popular you know. That's why people are willing to pay an arm and a leg. And slowly, slowly life began to have purpose again. Slowly, slowly with the help of friendship and caffeine I felt like part of the human race again. Human race, you know the one, the race that runs the race. The rat race (I hate rats! Need a new name for the race... am open to suggestions).

Seriously, if the lab techs suddenly pulled the wheel out of the cage, what would all the rats do? If all the baby rats went off to Grandma's house for a week, would they clean the cage? Doubtful. And when they went to the grocery store for cheese, they wouldn't have to buy the usual hunk, they would purchase just a slice and think "this is what it would be like it it were just the two of us." That's what it felt like. I purchased one roasted chicken, no sides, no desert, no pop, nothing. I would have soooo much money!!!!

The kids come home tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are Not going to believe this. But when Morgan and I went to the store, the same thing happened. We were thinking, all the snacks we bought last time, we still had...We only got a few things and got out of the store (and by store, I mean Wal-Mart) with out spending that arm and leg...Though if they had been gone any longer, I think Morgan would have found a way to go get them herself!