Monday, December 22, 2008

Perception is Reality?

I'm finishing up the night shift. It's hard when it's almost over and you're feeling pretty tired, the make-up now feels halfway worn off, the hair is flatter, the hand on the clock doesn't seem to be moving, and here they come, the perky day shifters! The fresh perfume wafts by my desk, fresh smiling faces all say, "good morning" with a lilt in their voice. Their perception is a new beginning to the week. Optimism sums up this crowd for the most part (there are a few cranky ones that I feel a kindred spirit with). My perception is that this is my Friday! When will it end? There is such a thing as being too perky you know.

But the whole whose perception is reality thing really hit home earlier in the week. I was feeling rather accomplished with this whole blogging thing and mentioned it at the dinner table. Prince Lawn Gnome seemed interested, "what's your blog called?"

"Oceangypsymom," I reply. He nearly spit his chicken and rice halfway across the kitchen table. Apparently, he thinks that is a ridiculous reality for me. Apparently, it's laughable. Perhaps, he would name this blog something more akin to: mompleasemakemesomebacon, or momwhycan'tigotostephen's?, or momwhoruinsallthefun. What Prince Lawn Gnome doesn't know is that I have been an oceangypsy for many, many years. Long before he was a glimmer in his father's eye, I would crank my stereo and blast the song Ocean Gypsy by Scheherazade. It spoke to me. It transported me beyond my surroundings into a creative and vibrant world. My reality is that I have finally dug down far enough to resuscitate the ocean gypsy in me and guess what? She's still there! She was just covered up with loads and loads of laundry.

Perception is reality, in so much as, it is in the eye of the beholder.

No comments: