Wednesday, December 31, 2008

The garden

It started innocently enough, the desire for the taste of a few homegrown tomatoes. Somehow though, it turned into more. The sad thing is that I am an all or nothing personality, but I didn't realize how much until the garden. Why would I think about it now in December? I picked up a book with a very catchy title, "The $64 Tomato" by William Alexander. My hubby often teased me that we had two $200 salads, instantly, I could relate. Oddly enough, I thought the garden would save us money. Ha! That is lie. At this rate it will take years.

I think it worth mentioning that I am not a fit person. In fact, my winter activities mostly resemble that of a grizzly bear. So, the shear fact that I squatted, I kneeled, I lifted, I shoveled, I weeded, and down right nearly died in the garden should render pause and reflection. Is it worth it? Will I be so crazy as to try again? I did lose one jeans size, but I found it again.

Or how about the fact that I mistakenly pulled out all the pepper plants and watered poisonous weeds. They grew and grew and I was so proud. I thought the pepper crop was going to be amazing! I started googling recipes for hot sauce. It was a sad day when the neighbor behind us broke the news.

The truth is, I have to try again if out of nothing but pure stubbornness. All that work, I can't let it be for naught. And truly the tomatoes are amazing, even if they do cost nearly $64 each. I am determined to do better, determined to arm myself with more knowledge over the winter.

Call me crazy but I also love the the peace and quiet. I enjoy digging in the dirt. I love lifting my face to feel the warmth of the sun. Never before have a fully appreciated the curse of the land on Adam or the plight of the farmer. Oh, how I covet success. My New Year's Resolution: to garden with more wisdom and fervor, to enjoy the fruit/vegies of my labor and not to cultivate weeds.

1 comment:

Mrs. G. said...

A sweet tomato fresh off the vine is worth $64 in my book!