Saturday, March 28, 2009

Oh, Spring Where Art Thou?

Spring, why oh why do you play with my emotions? You flirt with me throughout the winter months. Beckoning to me with your alluring sunshine. You call to me on not so gentle breezes to come out and play. But, where oh where have you gone? Why do you hide yourself from me and let Winter take center stage once again? You know that you are my true love. No snowflake, ice crystal or slushy street can compare to your beauty. Spring, oh spring, I am willing to forgo any relationship I have with ol' man Winter for the rest of my days if you will only come back.

I looked and looked and found signs of you everywhere. The tulips, irises, and peonies bursting forth from the cold hard ground gave me hope and brought a smile to my face. How cruel it is for you to beckon them forth only to forsake them to the dreaded snowdrift. Won't you come and save them from sudden death? It is only by chance that my schedule would not bend to your warm advances and have saved me and the garden from the agony of early defeat. You are sly my true love. Why do you toy with me?

Oh my darling Spring do not envy my ability to maneuver slick and slush filled streets that no snow plow has dared to touch. Do not cherish my glow in the dark white, dry and flaking skin. Spring oh spring, the turtleneck is not all it's cracked up to be. I can hear your laughter at my feeble attempts to start a warm and crackling fire. It should come as no surprise to you that I can never remember which pull opens the flu.

It is with long suffering that I endure your mockery. How can I turn from my love for you? It is ingrained within my being and I am unable to control it. I long to feel the warmth of your kiss on my cheek instead of the sting of a winter slap. Spring oh spring, why are you so cruel?

No comments: