Saturday, May 30, 2009

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun

I've been a tee ball mom, a softball mom, a baseball mom, a soccer mom, a karate mom, a basketball mom, a golf mom, football mom and now a volleyball mom. I hadn't realized the depth of my resume until just now, but I do believe that it uniquely qualifies me to comment with authority when it comes to the wide world of children's sports.

I also live in a small town that takes it's sporting teams seriously, very seriously. You don't have to look far to find the over-involved, overly opinionated parent. They're everywhere. Coaches must come with a thick skin as a prerequisite and a membership to the good ol' boys club. Having said all that, I would like to state a few observations that I've made over Songbird's volleyball season:

1. Girls just wanna have fun. They high five one another after EVERY point. Win the point, lose the point, you MUST high five. Boys don't do that.

2. Even the tiniest, scrawniest, chicken-legged little girls can wallop an overhand serve.

3. Volleyball (at least in the beginning levels) can be a level playing field for the athletically inclined as well as the couch potato inclined.

4. The team name and team cheer are VERY important followed by more high fives.

5. Time out is for tying shoes and fixing pony tails. Boys don't do this either, they stratigize and hunt for the first aid kit.

6. Sacrificing the body for a point is optional, but elicits a huge round of applause from the audience.

7. Beauty queen and Marla Hooch look alikes are treated with the same enthusiasm, love, appreciation, tenderness and high fives! (Adult women could learn a lot from these girls.)

I am loving this season!

No comments: