Friday, May 8, 2009

Car Share

It's the gift that just keeps giving. When Braveheart turned sweet 16, we presented her with her own keys to the car. The car that I would share with her until further notice. It seemed like a good idea. It felt like the responsible action to take as a parent. This way we could still yank the car if Braveheart acted like some of the new found drivers we know.

It's been five months, five long-suffering months. I've encountered a McDonald's cluttered car (the smell of fries is undeniable), the seat is always up way too far, the mirrors all wrong, the radio stations have been changed and are blaring, the gas tank has been empty, one key lost, two new keys made, and today a flat tire as I was leaving to go to work.

I need my own space. I'm trying to be patient. I know that these are learning experiences and valuable to keeping family communication going. And yet, I cannot pass a For Sale sign on any vehicle without drooling. I refuse to have another car payment ever again, so any ol' car will do. Just something to have as my own or at least my own until Prince Lawn Gnome wants to practice driving.

No comments: