Monday, April 13, 2009

Fame and Fortune

When I was a kid, I wanted to be a Solid Gold dancer. I was certain that I'd make it and everyone would see me on t.v. They would be envious and I would dance and dance till my heart's desire. It would be the best! I didn't know that after a few years television shows (particularly bad ones) get canceled. I needed a new plan.

My plan definitely included being interviewed by Barbara Walters! I often rehearsed my very serious interview out loud. I don't remember what I desperately wanted the world to know and that wasn't really the important part anyway. The important thing was that people would WANT to hear what I had to say. Now, I turn on The View and I think, Barbara Walters should just give it up already. blah...blah...blah...blah...blah

When I was a preteen, I could often be found with a microphone a.k.a. hairbrush or spatula. Certainly, I was every bit as good as Anne or Nancy Wilson. Yes, a rockstar would work too. I could tour and wear leather pants. Oh, yes, and I could dance too! I would have millions of adoring fans. Now, I know that my voice only emulates my rockstar heroines when I'm in my car with the windows rolled up and the volume up way too high. (It's a magic car.)

As a young mother, a fantasized about being on Oprah. She would praise the ingenious stylings of writing in my first novel. Naturally, it would be considered one of the greatest American novels of all time. It would be a best seller and this was before her book club. Yes, I have a pseudonym all picked out. I would toy with the idea of going on her show as myself or in disguise to protect my much needed privacy. After all, aren't reclusive authors more interesting? Now, I watch Oprah and I think, this show has gone down hill. She should also give it up. And, then I think, crap, I better get it together or I will never have my great American novel done in time!

Now, as a 36 year old wife and mother, I desire just a little fame... and just enough fortune to carve out a little niche for myself. Some things never change.

No comments: