Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Update

It's 3:30 in the morning, in the oceangypsy house and I'm wide awake. Of course, I have company, Leo the cat. He is a little miffed that I've interrupted his playing with the Christmas tree and has since decided to retaliate by clawing my furniture. Oh, but Leo of little brain, you forgot we declawed you months ago for just such reasons. Proof that I am a higher life form!

Thanksgiving was amazing, great food and great visit with relatives. I was pretty good diet wise but the proof will be in the pudding at my weigh in this Thursday night. I'm dreading it slightly. My temptation was tempered a bit when on the day before Thanksgiving I went clothes shopping. I highly recommend this as a yearly ritual. I was ecstatic to get into a smaller size and didn't want to jeopardize that and conversely if you went up a size then perhaps the reality would also be a motivating factor.

Here's the crazy thing. I was actually glad when Thanksgiving was over so that I could get back on plan. It's like I stepped out into the big, bad, real world and just knew if I spent too much time there then I'd crack for good. I was actually thankful to be back in the safety net of point counting. Isn't that crazy?

I do miss my family though. It was so fun to spend time together, when you live far apart you forget all the quirkiness that goes on. Granny was true to form when she tried to convince me that you can get a bladder infection by walking barefoot on the concrete. My sister, always the chronic late one, inspired a pool for which we took bets on what time she'd roll into town. Her arrival has never been so closely anticipated. My mom and stepdad had the usual, yearly argument on how to correctly position and set the table. My brother and his girlfriend interacted like an old married couple, the dogs worked up over all the visitors. Ahhh, to be home.

So, now on to the next holiday season. The season for which I am feeling anxious and unprepared. So much so, that Braveheart and Songbird actually set the tree up for me. They did a pretty good job, and I'm pretty picky about the tree. But, alas, I'm learning that as a working mom, I'm just going to have to let some things go. It's not really necessary that I bring out all the ornaments that they forgot. After all, Leo the cat would probably just bat them around anyway! Do I really need to bring out the rest of the decorations for the house for just a couple of weeks? For the first time, I just don't want the hassle. It feels overwhelming.

And as an extra emotional bonus, Braveheart turns 17 this month! How is it possible that she has gotten so big? Wasn't it just yesterday that she was playing dress up and tea party? Wasn't it just yesterday when she crawled up in my lap for a story and her artwork covered the refrigerator door? Now, she spends her time trying to convince me to let her work the night shift (ain't no way), driving all over town and planning out her future as a rockstar. I am excited for her, and at the same time, a little sad that she's not little anymore.

4 am now. Still wide awake...even Leo the cat has given up and curled up into a ball on the couch going to go and try to follow his example.

No comments: