Saturday, June 6, 2009

The Lazy Days of Summer

This is my favorite time of year. Eighty+ degrees, soft breeze, lush green lawns, neighborhood kids playing ball, BBQ on the back patio with a side of cucumber and onions, and watermelon, yes, I love summer. I love the calming effect of watching fireflies. I love chatting with the neighbors over coffee on the front porch. I love gazing at a clear sky full of stars just after dark. Summer nights in the Midwest are magical.

Summers in the oceangypsy house mean gardening, swimming, camp, bonfires, fantastic grilling, and fireworks! Yes, the countdown to fireworks season has begun, only 22 days till delivery. Running the fireworks tent is one thing we all enjoy. There's nothing like it. Grandpa comes to help for the week and that means homemade ice cream!

And, so it is with deep, heartfelt sadness that I spend this terrific summer evening at work, bored to tears (apparently everyone is enjoying the outdoors). I am sitting here reminding myself of all the reasons I come to work: hubby transitioning into new career, bills, bills and more bills, electricity, water, food, healthcare, gas, clothing and generally not being lazy. I know I just need to be thankful for my job right now, but, please God, can one of these perfect summer nights land on a day off?

No comments: