Saturday, June 27, 2009

Ha Ha

Remember when you were a pre-teen and just really noticing boys? Remember the one that was oh, so fine and in high school. It didn't matter that he was "older" because that probably meant that he was more "mature". He drove and in your mind's eye you could picture yourself sitting shotgun with the wind blowing through your hair. He would reach for the radio the same time as you and just so gently, his hand would touch yours. He was the one that stopped time. His mere glance in your direction was hard proof that someday he'd be interested in you.

In my life this oh, so hot guy was Sean. Our families hung out together and by default we sort of hung out together too. Actually, he hung out with his much older friends and I tried desperately not to fall into the "little kid" crowd. I was much too self confident to fall to pieces when he would bring a girlfriend around. I knew that someday he'd see me. One day, I'd be his girlfriend and this current floozy, a distant memory.

One day Sean's mom was cleaning out his closet. She nearly threw out his John Elway jersey! Thankfully, I rescued the jersey from destruction and wore it as a pajama shirt for years. Yes, it was a way to FEEL closer to this near perfect man. Unfortunately, wearing his jersey was the closest I ever came to Sean. Despite my young, pre-teen heart full of hope, my love for Sean was unrequited.

Imagine my surprise when his name came up at a dinner party the other night, 23 years later! I had nearly forgotten him! Allowing for my cousins to make MAJOR fun of me, I admitted to my long time crush. "Oh, he still lives at home," my cousin remarks, "in the basement."

It's hard not to just say "Ha!" You missed out Sean, you missed your chance. And, thank the Lord for unanswered prayers!

No comments: