Saturday, July 11, 2009

Mama Bird and Baby Bird

Some children come with an extra dose of imagination. They live in their own little worlds full of imaginary friends and wonders. To the untrained eye, these highly intelligent children may seem a little "off", especially if engaged in an argument of some sort with them self. But, to the parent in the know, these children often hold special places in our hearts. Not only can they entertain themselves for hours on end, but once in awhile they let you into their little world. My youngest, Songbird, is such a child.

Yes, I've been known to set an extra place at the table for the imaginary friend. For a full year, I watched every step in the yard as not to accidentally step on "sticky" and wreck his house. But, my favorite was momma bird and baby bird.

Songbird would come snuggle up to me in my bed and gather the blankets around her in an attempt to build a nest. She would then cheep, cheep like a baby bird. As the momma bird, I would wiggle my finger in her direction as if it were a worm and she would pretend slurp it down. This would continue until I tired of the game and then told her it was time for the baby bird to learn to fly. She would protest and not want to leave my bed. Inevitably, the momma bird would have to kick the baby bird out of the nest in an attempt to get on with the day.

Songbird is twelve now and it's been a long time since we've played momma bird and baby bird. But today, I was reminded of this, oh so, telling game. Today, Songbird flew on a plane for the first time, by herself. Today, Songbird faced her fear of flying and boarded a plane to the busiest airport in the continental United States... alone. Part of me just wanted to shelter her and keep her home and walk right out of that airport! But, taking a lesson from the momma bird, I knew that she HAD to face this fear. She needed to spread her little wings and learn what is out there past the neighborhood nests.

I used to feel sorry for the baby birds, now I feel sorry for the momma birds, they need just as much courage.

No comments: